How to Implement Feng Shui in the Bedroom
How do I get positive energy in my bedroom?The ancient practice of Feng Shui teaches us that our surroundings can have a profound impact on our mood and energy levels. When it comes to the bedroom, this means creating a space that is peaceful, serene, and conducive to restful sleep.
If you want to learn how to Feng Shui your bedroom and improve positive energy, here are some easy, techniques to enhance your quality of life by transforming your bedroom into a haven of wellness and calm.
1. Position your bed correctly.Your bed is the essential object in the aptly named bedroom, so it deserves the most important placement. That would be the “Commanding Position” – the farthest point from the door, but with complete visibility of the doorway and anyone approaching. That way, you will feel more relaxed, safe, and powerful when lying in bed.
2. Find the view.Whether you live in a managed HOA community with beautiful vistas of nature, a high-rise with panoramic city views – or anything in between – keep your blinds or curtains open to bring the view indoors. According to a famous 1984 research study, post-surgical hospital patients who gazed at gardens outside their windows healed faster and with fewer complications than those with no view. If you don’t seem to have a view – find a picturesque mural or a great piece of art to draw the eye and calm the soul. But if you’re really craving views of nature, you can…
3. Bring nature indoors.Studies have shown that spending just 20 minutes in a natural setting can significantly decrease cortisol and other stress hormones in our bodies. Green plants in your bedroom evoke feelings of calm, energy, and joy – a boon to both well-being and romance. Feng Shui practitioners recommend adding either three or nine plants for maximum energy boosting – and if the plants have pink flowers, you’ll amplify the effects! But don’t stop there… rocks, crystals, floral bouquets, and other natural elements can add their own unique energy and beauty to your personal space.
4. Awaken your senses.Enhance relaxation and a sense of romance by flooding your senses with positive, calming energy. Take a warm and relaxing aromatherapy bubble bath, light essential oil diffusers, incense, or scented candles in soothing fragrances like lavender, bergamot, orange, and patchouli. Wrap yourself in a fuzzy robe and slippers or cuddly throw, play some music that relaxes you and enjoy a spa-like setting in your very own bedroom.
5. Use appropriate lighting.Light is one of the strongest expressions of energy, and appropriate levels of light, either through dimmer switches, lamps, or candles, directly affect our energy flows. Feng Shui adherents point to candles as the best sources of ambient lighting for their ability to clear static energy and impart a warm, intimate, and healing atmosphere. Very important – to prevent fire hazards, be sure all candles are fully extinguished before you leave the room or fall asleep! Which leads us to….
6. Dim the lights before bedtime.Bright light can interfere with your sleep cycles, so start dimming the lights progressively at night to help you easily unwind and fall asleep at bedtime. And sorry, technology lovers – that means no TVs, computers, or smartphones in the bedroom, preferably always, but especially at bedtime. Not only does the blue light they emit snuff out positive energy, but more importantly, bringing the stress and energy of work, friends, and other distractions into your private haven can interfere with your relationship with your loved ones – and that includes yourself.
Applying Feng Shui techniques to your bedroom can increase the flow of calming, nourishing, and sensual energy to the most private room in your home. Want more? Don’t miss our previous article on using Feng Shui in your home’s entryway. For additional insights and proven tips to enhance your home and your lifestyle, contact FirstService Residential, North America’s property management leader.