What condominium corporation doesn’t want to improve the marketability of its property and enhance residents’ lifestyles? One way to do this is by converting underutilized space into an amenity-rich locale that will bring people together. Of course, there are a number of ways for condos to transform their property by adding great amenities, many of which are described in this article
High-rise condominiums in urban areas like Edmonton and Calgary, however, may have a space for amenities that (literally) goes above and beyond other options: their roof. “A high-rise rooftop can provide a resort-like feeling where residents find it easy to socialize and relax,” says Mark Nixdorf, president of FirstService Residential in Alberta. “That kind of environment also has a positive effect on property values.”
Do the Groundwork First
Before embarking on any rooftop projects, you will need to determine the feasibility and cost of reconfiguring your roof. In addition, you will want to find out what kind of amenities unit owners want and which ones will make your building desirable to new buyers.
A professional condominium management company can help you get the preliminary information you need. It can also handle related tasks that would otherwise fall to your board members. These include:
Consider Your Amenity Options
- Sending out resident surveys
- Researching city requirements
- Vetting vendors and contractors
- Soliciting bids
- Getting you the most value for your money
There are a wide range of amenities that can turn your rooftop into a hot spot that residents and potential buyers will appreciate. Here are some ideas:
- Fitness facility. Having a panoramic view of the city while working out is enough to make anyone want to get on the treadmill or attend a Pilates class.
- Indoor or outdoor pool. Whether it’s a year-round indoor pool or a seasonal outdoor pool, a pool is sure to make a splash with residents. Higher-end options such as an infinity or salt-water pool can be real selling points, too.
- Sundeck and cabanas. With or without a pool, sunbathers and shade-seekers alike will appreciate having comfortable lounge chairs and cabanas.
- Gardens. Who would imagine growing a garden full of beautiful flowers or fresh vegetables in the middle of a city? But that’s just what you can do either out in the open or inside a rooftop greenhouse. Add a koi pond with nice seating and you’ve created a great meditation spot, too.
- Grilling stations. Many high-rise dwellers don’t have the opportunity to barbeque at home. But you can change that by providing a cookout area they can enjoy all summer long.
- Children’s playground. Install a jungle gym and some benches to create a fun and safe place for kids to play and parents to catch up with their friends.
- Dog park. Well-exercised dogs tend to behave better, so providing a convenient place for them to walk, run or play with other pooches is good for everyone. If your building has a lot of residents with pets that need grooming, you might want to consider adding a pet spa.
- Fire pit lounges. What’s better than sitting in front of a crackling fire on a cool autumn night? A fire pit can stretch the season for outdoor gatherings.
- Bar or restaurant. Put in a trendy bar or restaurant to make your roof the talk of the town.
- Mix and match. Combine two or more of the ideas on this list for a truly inspired rooftop scene.
Your residents can also provide some interesting suggestions, so be sure to ask them for input. Bring your management team into the discussion early on, too. Not only will they have their own expertise, but they will also be able to tap into the company’s vast experience with properties like yours. A good management company can be your trusted partner through the design and build process as well.
Learn more about how a condominium management company can help your condo corporation turn your high-rise roof into a place that will make people say “Wow!” Contact FirstService Residential
, Alberta’s leading condominium management company.