Did you know that electric space heaters are involved in thousands of residential fires each year? As such, nearly 32% of all home heating fires, and 79% of all fatal home heating fires, are caused by portable electric space heaters.*
• Purchase a heater that automatically shuts off if tipped over
• Read all manufacturer’s instruction for use and care
• Place the heater on a solid and level surface
• Regularly inspect for cracked or damaged plugs or connections
• Never use an extension cord or power strip; plug directly into an outlet
• Keep heaters at least three feet away from anything that is flammable
• Clean the heater to prevent dust build-up
DISCLAIMER: All information provided by FS Insurance Brokers is advisory in nature. Any such information may not identify or contemplate all unsafe conditions; others may exist. FS Insurance Brokers does not imply, guarantee or warrant the safety of any of the client’s properties or operations or that the client or any such properties or operations are in compliance with all federal, provincial, or local laws, codes, statutes, ordinances, standards or recommendations. All decisions in connection with the implementation, if any, of any of FS Insurance Brokers’ advice or recommendations shall be the sole responsibility of, and made by, the client or other recipient of the information.
Source: National Fire Protection Agency*
This article is provided for information purposes only. FirstService Residential is not an expert in the subject matter of this article, and this article is not intended to, and should not be construed as, providing expert advice. If expert advice is required to address a specific issue mentioned in this article, the reader should consult with a professional specializing in the subject matter after diligent inquiry regarding the professional’s qualifications, licensing, insurance, history of consumer complaints, and adverse civil or administrative actions.