Humans are social creatures with a deep-seated yearning for connection and community. This is particularly evident in a condo corporation, where a strong sense of community can be the difference between long-standing residency and high turnover.
Typically, a community consists of a group of individuals sharing common characteristics or goals, linked by a common policy. In the case of your condo corporation, members share a set of core values and goals, either written or unwritten, which help define the community you live in.
Some of the things your board can do to build a greater sense of community are
- Running your corporation effectively by holding productive meetings and having an in-depth knowledge of your governing documents
- Maintaining transparency with open communication and providing a platform for residents to voice their concerns
- Creating neighbour-to-neighbour interactions through events and lifestyle programs
- Encouraging volunteerism, including involvement on the board and on committees
- Fostering community pride through the experiences you create for residents and the reputation you develop with prospective residents
- Inspiring residents to participate in the larger community by informing them of local happenings and nearby community features, such as transit, parks and schools
A close-knit community in which neighbours care about each other can provide a great deal of emotional satisfaction and enhance the quality of life for your residents.
What is your condo board's plan for building a greater sense of community for your corporation?